Ginger Chilli Chicken on Rice
Say goodbye to those Chinese takeaways down the street and treat your tastebuds to this delicious Ginger Chilli Chicken on Rice. With a good balance of exciting, exotic flavours (and not too spicy!) this makes for the perfect meal to transport your dining experience to the Far East.
- 12 chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- Few drops sesame oil
- 2 large red chillies, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 large knob ginger, grated (approx 2 tbsp)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into ribbons (I did this with a peeler)
- 1 cup mung beans
- ¼ cup coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 large red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 lemon, peeled and deseeded so that only the flesh remains
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cups basmati rice, cooked
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well to coat the chicken and leave to marinate for a least an hour or over night.
Cook the chicken on a hot BBQ.
Combine the carrot, mung beans and coriander and mix to combine.
Place the chilli, garlic and sugar into a mortar and pestle and pound until a smooth paste forms.
Add the lemon flesh and continue to pound until once again smooth.
Finally add the lemon juice, vinegar, water and fish sauce and mix to a smooth sauce.
Fill a little bowl with rice and gently pack so that it sticks together. Turn the bowl out onto a plate.
Add a handful of salad to the plate and then top with 2 chicken thighs and drizzle with the dressing. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Fisher & Paykel