Basic Burger Mix
- 1 x 500-660gm baby barramundi (scaled and gutted)
- 1 kg of coarsely minced meat from beef lamb, pork or chicken and turkey with a fat content of approx. 30% (chicken 20%)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of roughly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped thyme or dried oregano (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter if you cook the burgers in a pan rather than BBQ.
- Freshly ground pepper
Skill Level: Super Easy
Cooks in: 30 Minutes
With your hands knead all ingredients into a bowl together and shape 4 or six burger patties of the thickness of your thumb and slightly larger than your bun.
Place onto the griddle or flat plate of your BBQ (medium-high heat) and cook for approximately three minutes on each side and turning it carefully with a scraper rather than tongs.
Check the cooking stages/temperatures where a beef or lamb burger is perfect when cooked medium to well and pork at medium well and chicken at well done.
When cooked remove from the heat to avoid overcooking which will result in dry and chewy burgers
Cut the buns in half and shortly before your burgers are ready toast the buns (first cut side down) on the BBQ on both sides and start assembling them
Top your burger with your favourite toppings like cheese, tomaotoes, beetroot, lettuce, mushrooms
Recipe by Beefeater